Sunday, June 8, 2008

FOCUS!!!



Until recently, focusing a digital camera was a bit more challenging than most would think. How many photos have you taken with the background being sharp, but the object or person you were photographing was blurry? After taking photos with a couple of different digital cameras, I finally found out the "solution" to this problem. When taking a photo of an object or person, I try to find the largest mass of what I'm photographing, focus on that, and then move the camera to the position of what I want to photograph. In other words, if I'm shooting an individual at the beach, I'll point the camera at the persons feet (this tells the camera how far the subject is away instead of hunting for an accurate "distance"), hold the shutter button half way down (this sets the digital focus in motion and locks it on the "distance"), wait till the camera focus light turns green, move the camera to the persons face or body, and then take the shot. If you don't do this, the camera will assume you're taking a photo of the "whole area", and will focus on the majority of background. You'll get a nice sharp background, but blurry subject. Try it and see what happens. Your photos should improve dramatically. Here's a shot of my buddy Frank Boygos during his annual pumpkin party. I used the engine of the tractor as my point of "mass" for focusing. This kept him and the tractor sharp, while making the background a bit fuzzy. The pumpkin was going to be used for one of those really SMALL pumpkin pies. ;-)

No comments: