Wednesday, June 25, 2008

WHAT I HATE ABOUT THE BEACH


One of my favorite pastimes is going to the beach and relaxing. But one of the things I hate about the beach is the inconsiderate people who seem to flock there. California has banned smoking on some of their beaches. I personally think it should be banned on ALL beaches. I get so tired of seeing smokers use our beaches for ashtrays. Yes, a FEW are considerate and use beverage cans for their ashtrays (I sincerely thank you), but they are so far in the minority it's not even funny. What's even worse is that if you say something to these people, they tell you to mind your own business and get out of their face. I once asked one of the beach cops if littering on the beach was legal and he said "no". I then asked why cigarette smokers had such leniency with their butts and he said that cigarette butts weren't considered "litter". Huh? I guess if I took an ashtray of butts and dumped them on his front porch that would be considered "okay" since it's not really litter? I took this shot yesterday at our beach in Hollywood. You can't even walk three feet without seeing three or four cigarette butts in the sand. Nice, isn't it?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just as bad are all the BUTTS at intersections with stop lights or signs. It takes over 100 years for those damn butts to desinigrate. YUCK.......

Laura said...

Do you know what, I hate cigarette butts on the beach because they always, and i mean ALWAYS, get into your toes when you walk barefoot. Usually the sand in England is wet, but when its dry, they just run between your toes. Makes me feel sick.

decobooth said...

I just shake my head in shame here. I quit smoking about two months ago and though I've always been a non-litterer I know I'm guilty of the above at some point. And if nothing else, I was littering the air. No more though. My apologies to the world and to you for ever having done this. I am truly trying to make ammends now though. I'm getting healthy, and getting active. My activities include going green in every way I possibly can. I do want to make a difference. decobooth www.apartmental.blogspot.com

KARL NOVAK said...

decobooth!!
My hat is off to you! Thanks for turning the corner to not only making yourself healthier, but our environment cleaner!!! Thanks for setting a great example! Some of us DO appreciate it. karl

Harrybear said...

this is a big problem in jax beach, fl. So many people are inconsiderate here and litter so much. I cant stand cigarettes they are truly ruining our beaches. It's like you can't stop smoking for an hour to enjoy something far greater. its a disgrace

toocansam said...

Know what else is disgusting, the people who spit out their spit infested chewed up gum for me to step in and have to try and get it off my shoe, or better yet the ones who stick it under the table or chair. EEwww